Friday, September 29, 2006

From Ocean to Summit


This is one of the hiking moments I've been awaiting since arriving in Nyuzen, Japan. The hike from the ocean in Asahi to the world famous ski area in Nagano, Hakuba. Once traversed by monks, this trail has become a favorite hiking area for amateur and seasoned mountaineers alike.

As I pack, I sift through the items for any excess ounce that I can do without. At first it's easy; food packaging, ramen containers, and extra clothes. After the obvious choices it becomes more difficult however. Opting out on heavier foods, Not bringing your 50+ gadget leatherman, and having only one pair of underwear (Sorry Tim). Thus the scrutenous code of ultra-light backpacking, where packing becomes an art. My finished work: a thirteen-pound pack.

My friend Tim, an ALT from Omi-machi, and I will be making the ascent to the White Horse Mountain at 1pm tomorrow. Our hike will be arduous, stretching over nearly six mountains, and hasty, carried out in the period of two and a half days. Canned chili, ramen, spaghetti, granola, sandwiches, and assorted snacks: our only consolation. Our mission: Don't die.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

arrive alive!
生きて帰れ(^_-)

Anonymous said...

arrive alive!
生きて帰れ(^_-)

Kirsten said...

so what happened??????

Anonymous said...

how did it go?