Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Two Weeks in Siberia

I just finished a two week work camp in Siberia near Lake Bailkal. We worked building trails in the jungle in the southern area of the lake with a team of 6 Russians and 6 foreigners. The organization is called GBT, for the Great Baikal Trail and is working towards maintaining as well as awareness of the lake's natural beauty.

The camp lay about 5 kilometers south of the lake and was in gorgeous, rather untouched jungle in the mountains. Near the camp and running parallel to the path we were on and were building was a prisitine river, perfect for bathing, swimming, drinking, etc.

Though I know almost no Russian, communicating with the locals was not a problem. We were provided with a translator, Julia, who quickly became known as Mama (well, at least among me and my friend Matt:). The people we were with were very hospitable and fun and almost every night was spent around a camp fire singing, or more often listening, to Russian songs. It made me realize how few songs I actually know the entire lyrics to!

I could spend a page thanking each person who I worked with but I for now, I'll focus on the man who bore the weight of the group on his shoulders. Our leader, Roma, was half man, all incredible. Every day he carried a chainsaw to and from the worksite wich was about 30 minutes from camp. On our return he carried the chainsaw, four shovels, a tent, two packs, and his own belongings! And boy could he laugh! He also brought his cat which would roam about the camp while we were working. Thanks Roma!

Spending time camping without electricity, running water, internet, etc. helped me simplify my life-style greatly and I began appreciating the simpler things more such as bathing and eating. Other things include singing, quiet time in the morning, sunsets, star-filled nights, bugs, soap, etc.

It was an incredible way to experience Russia and to meet its people but also a reality check. Without the daily distractions there seemed to be more time to think, pray, read, laugh, and experience life richly.

Tomorrow I leave for Ulan-bator, Mongolia. Two nights on a hot train! Yes!

J

No comments: